Mains Paper 2: IR | Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora.
From UPSC perspective, following things are important:
Prelims level: Not Much
Mains level: Article talks about Future goals of India-US diplomacy.
- The Article is about the upcoming meet of Modi and Trump
- In this, writer is suggesting a five-point plan for future Indo-US Relations
Why India and US needs to engage with each other?
Geo-politics: The evolution of global geopolitics has led to an unprecedented convergence between the US and India.
Commercial advantage:The commercial imperative for closer ties is clear for American companies seeking to do business in the fastest growing large economy in the world. On the flipside, India’s strength in the services sector provides US companies with a deep competitive edge.
Strategic reasons: The strategic imperative for a deeper cooperation between the two countries is indisputable: China’s military build-up and its assertive posture in the Indo-Pacific, the need to address regional security threats in South Asia, and increasing cyber security challenges.
five commercial and strategic priorities that will continue to be the pillars of the US-India partnership which both governments should consider.
1.Building a forward-looking trade agenda
- The two countries will need to work on issues such as India’s IP standards and the immigration executive orders affecting high-skilled workers in the US
- “America First” and “Make in India” should not become matters of conflict
2.US-India defence partnership
- In 2016, the Government of India finalised the Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement (LEMOA)
- And. the US government recognised India as “Major Defense Partner”
- India is undergoing a process of military modernisation and could choose to procure defence equipment produced in the US.
- Further defence equipment sales to India could help reduce the US-India trade deficit and improve the US’s defence-industrial manufacturing base.
3.Reinvigorate a US-India agriculture dialogue
- The aim of a high-level agriculture dialogue would be to reduce barriers and can be part of a streamlined US-India Strategic and Commercial Dialogue or combined with the US-India Trade Policy Forum.
- The US and India could create parliamentary exchanges among representatives from high agriculture production areas, establish scientific exchanges, and share best practices in food safety and nutrition.
4.Create an energy trade and technology initiative
- The purpose of this initiative would be to underscore the importance of growing US energy exports to meet India’s high demand.
- The initiative would also increase industry participation in bilateral dialogues for energy collaboration
- The Indian government should also implement a commercial mining framework to enable US companies to invest in the sector.
5.Building cooperation on health security:
- Both India and the US should reaffirm their commitment to global health security with emphasis on sharing best practices and technology, and a recognition of the role the private sector can play.
- They should work together on improving India’s implementation of its IPR policy and addressing specific areas of contention such as Section 3(d) under the Patent Act.