2 Oct 2016 | Target Mains: Weekly Essay Challenge

Profile photo of Discuss Discuss
  • Root cause of our social and national degradation is our treatment of women.

Instructions: Write the following essay in 1000-1200 words.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Profile photo of Pranav Pranav @pranavce15

Please review 🙂

Attachments:
    • Profile photo of Ashutosh Namdeo Ashutosh Namdeo @ashutosh-namdeo

@pranav_content wise write up is perfect, except I felt that you went too deep into the historical aspect…..a particular phrase I would like to point out ‘we need liberate women’ is sounding a bit rebellious and I opine that I can be replaced by a milder phrase…
      Structure wise, I felt the essay can be improved…I too felt that you were missing on national degradation point, though you covered it indirectly…here a better compartmentalised essay would have avoided the examiner’s dillision…
      Overall the essay was comprehensive covering almost all aspects…in fact I had to make efforts to criticise you…

• Profile photo of Simran Bains Simran Bains @simranbains

Hey @pranavce15,
      Very nicely written! 🙂
      I felt a lot of similarities in our essays, content was almost the same.
      You were certainly not beating around the bush.
      However I feel, social degradation was well crafted in your essay, but national degradation could have been better and comprehensive.
      Flow was well maintained throughout the read. 🙂 Enjoyed it. All the best.

Yes, I didnt realise it also hampers India’s image at world level like with that Nirbhay documentary and hence national degradation.

Thanks 🙂

• Profile photo of Vikas Verma Vikas Verma @vikas-verma

@pranavce15 ..that was an excellent essay… you covered most of the dimensions comprehensively…historical aspects, current trends, and the programs and schemes govt has taken…
      But i think, more stress should be given towards “how our treatment of women is the root cause for our social and national degradation”..like in families, whenever there is abuse towards female members, and if takes place regularly, the children(especially the male) imbibe this culture of superiority to women…and the girl child develops the feeling of inferiority..similarly our present social culture and trends(burqa system, women not doing outdoor activities,etc)…

Hey Vikas, thanks so much for the review. Yes I realize that I didnt give that part enough room and rather fleetingly dealt with it.

Would you like me to review anything you wrote as a barter trade for this review?

Thanks again and all the best 🙂

That is a sweet gesture @pranavce15 🙂

• Profile photo of ravi ernesto ravi ernesto @raviernesto

Attached

Attachments:

The words were uttered by Swami Vivekananda, the revered Indian monk in 20th century but their relevance has little shrunk while we live 21st century. India has traditionally been the land where women have been emulated to mother. Ancient religious texts, literature have all held women in high regards. But we have seen a persistent inconsistency in our actions when contrasted with our beliefs.

Are we socially degraded today?
    Had this question been asked a hundred years ago the answer would have been a resounding ‘yes’. But, not many will object today, if we hold that above proposition is still valid though with a diminished severity,still significantly.

Why do we say so?
    When the prime minister of a country from the ramparts of one of the national monument on his precisely crafted speech chooses to highlight such trivial a issue as sanitation, all is not well with our social situation. When a national survey time and again points to inability of class fifth student in solving simple maths problem, all is not well with our social situation. When seventh largest land area in the world behold second largest population (demonstrating keen desire to be the first), all is certainly not well with our social situation.

Are we nationally degraded?
    Swami ji spoke these words when India was still in the shackles of British imperialism. We fought long and hard to be called an independent sovereign country and over the years we have done appreciably well to be called a nation. But we would be doing ourselves a great disservice if we deny a few grey spots.
    The ghosts of insurgency and Maoism continues to haunt us though with much less intensity. Moreover with growing international terrorism we harbour risk of radicalisation, in fact few incidents have been recorded recently when youth of our nation got disillusioned under the influence of such radicalisation. National degradation is also perceptible by bureaucratic corruption, corporate malpractices and occasional civic misbehaviour of Indian citizens.

The women connect…..
    In a social order women can best be equated to backbone of society. They are first custodian of newborns and holds maximum sway in their upbringing. An all-rounder skilled in both breadwinning and bread making, women are the blood in the veins of our society.
    Women have amply demonstrated their ability to spur social changes. The famous Chipko movement in the Himalayan state of Uttrakhand, similar Appiko movement in Karnataka, anti-arrack movement have all seen women as the vanguard.
    Women run a silent revolution at home by imparting the right values in her children. It is rightly said that educating a men is worth educating a single person while educating a woman is worth educating two. Educated children are our insurance of tomorrow.

Fault in the way we treat women….
    The indifferent attitude of society towards the women is well documented today. 2011 census figures suggest women education in India at a dismal 65 percent compared to 84 percent for men. Numerous social reasons have conspired to confine a girl to her home with education being the fortune of only boys. But things are changing now. Government has done well to launch programme such as Beti Bachao Beti Padhao, right to education, mid day meal scheme etc. Efforts of NGOs and media in consistent campaigning need to be highlighted.
    Our society still carries burden of many stigmas wrongly associated with girl child which reflects on our poor child seed ratio which currently stand at 914 as per census 2011 figure. Socially driven craving for a boy child has led to rise in sex selective abortion, sex selective in vitro fertilisation and in extreme cases female infanticide. PCPNDT act passed in 1994 amended 2005 has not been very effective and there has been clamour for changing many provisions. Child marriages are still a reality in many remote area often leading to child trafficking and ultimately prostitution. Many sub cultures in the country still remain notorious for dowry. All this happens despite proper legislations at place. Certainly we need to delve into our mindsets.
    Political representation of women in country is not very encouraging. Though almost 50 percent reservation in third tier of government has started to set things at the grass root level, central and state legislature are still to put the diabolic of 33 percent reservation for women into action.
    Many researches on equity in business suggest that gender diverse organisation performs better than its counterpart. Representation of women in corporate world and gender equity in wages offers plenty scope for improvement.
    Women have been the victims of archaic personal laws some of which have failed to adapt in sync with the modern times. Each religion must reform from within and in future we can move towards a unified civil code for all.

Hope for a better future….
    India is in the midst of transition which will probably jettison it to the pack of developed nations in the coming years. A more gender inclusive society will ensure that we stand firm at the position that we are expected to reach. Research conducted by kpmg suggest that gender equity in workforce can add up to a trillion dollar to our GDP. But this will be possible only if we ensure that more of our girls are going to school, more of them are pursuing higher education securing requisite skills. But these need us to move beyond our rhetoric. We can make a beginning from now, from our house and neighbourhood. There is no transformation big enough to achieve if 1.2 bn make a commitment to themselves to usher it.

Words-972

@ashutosh-namdeo,

few pointers
      “Words were uttered” – seems as if he was handed out a written speech and spoke flatly (like Pakistanis do at the UN!! 😉 )

-Is it literacy did you refer to? (65% & 84%)

– the introductory part should’ve ended at “grey spots” I think the point was conveyed till then. Insurgency, terrorism, maoism has too many factors and upbringing is not among the major ones and hence dilutes the message from above

BUT none of this takes away the fact that your essay is brilliant, choice of words impeccable (barring few instances) and flow cogent.

Plus try and write more to emphasise your point via an anecdote or quotes of the like. You had a scope of about 225 words more.

All the best and please critically review mine 🙂

@pranav_thanks for the review…was much needed…
      appreciate it…

KINDLY REVIEW! 🙂

It was a bustling Sunday morning. As a daily routine, I grabbed a cup of tea and sat down with the newspaper in my other hand. The front page had something that caught my eyes. In Sikaar, Rajasthan, doctors have thought of starting a unique practice. When a baby girl is born in the hospitals of the district, they’ll reduce the hospital fee by 50%, gift the mother and provide concessions to baby’s check up till she gets ten years old. But, should I be happy regarding the step taken by doctors in a state where girls and women go through hardships or should I mourn at the ills present in the society?

India, at present enjoys a fine position on international platform. When it speaks, the world stops and listens. In the near future we’ll become a superpower. But, we cannot ensure holistic development in true letter and spirit unless and until the women of our nation are ill treated. Our Indian society won’t be labelled as a PROGRESSIVE SOCIETY unless we let our women proceed in all spheres of life.

One might think, that the sorry state of women has continued since forever. But it is not so. In ancient India, during Vedic age, women were considered as the incarnation of Goddess. They held respectable position in the society, enjoyed freedom of all types. Be it freedom to get educated or choose their life partners. They never observed purdah! Widow remarriage existed. Moreover they were called ‘Ardhanganis’ (better halves) and they were treated as the same. Now wait for a second and think. How smooth is widow remarriage in the current society? Is it ‘acceptable’ when a girl chooses her life partner? Instead what we see are Khap Panchayats and honour killing!

By the end of Vedic age, some changes started taking place. Those changes became the ills of the society. Women were not allowed to pursue education. They were not allowed to be a part of sabha and samitis which earlier marked presence of women in political arena. Medieval age saw increase in heinous crimes against women. Practice of JAUHAR, purdah system degraded the social condition of women even further. The “first law book” of India, ancient text, MANUSMRITI carries rules of life. But the texts degrade women to a large extent. On one hand it describes women as bearers of blessings and no less than the goddess of fortune and on the other calls them fickle minded, lustful and untrustworthy.

Towards the end of medieval age, when Indians were exposed to modern education, when they felt bad on the condition of women, renaissance took place, changes were brought in. Revolution began to give the lost respect and dignified position to women. Torch bearers for this were Raja Ram Mohan Roy who went against the customs and rituals to fight against SATI PRATHA. Pandit Ramabai, Savitribai Phule who fought all odds to stand for women education, Dayanand Saraswati who supported widow remarriage. Swami Vivekananda greatly remarked that a family cannot prosper where it’s women are ill treated! Gandhi stood for women empowerment. He used to say that a woman’s moral power is far superior than that of a man’s!

Then too, what went wrong? One might think that if such great personalities worked for societal change and women empowerment, then why do we see women still struggling for their rights, their dignity, their security? Why is a woman scared to walk on the streets during night? One thing is for sure, no change can be brought unless a person himself wants to change. And changes should be behavioural and attitudinal. As Gandhi has aptly quoted, “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” The mindsets of people need to change, if we want to see women at par with women!

When we look at the current status of women, we see girls going to schools, getting educated, securing jobs and working, earning name and fame! But the social stigma linked with a working women is what is worrisome. Patriarchal society is not fully ready to adjusted with working women. Moreover the harassment they face in work places, sexual assault, gender discrimination takes us back to centuries old way of living.

Women who earn their livelihood are paid much less than what they deserve, their pay slip is much less than the amount of work they do. This pay gap is wide enough to put our ‘Fast developing India’ under bad light. Imagine, in the second most populous country, half of the population is struggling to get fifty percent reservation in state local bodies and parliament. And we talk about getting permanent seat in UNSC! The objectification of women, where a woman is considered nothing more than an object, results in sexual abuses, and create a blot on nation’s image on international platform. Marital rapes, domestic violence, female foeticide, prove that India still has a long way to achieve something known as WOMEN EMPOWERMENT.

The condition of women has seen ups and downs since the very beginning. But one should think deeply to understand the impact it leaves on various spheres. What VALUES does a father pass to his young boy when he raises hand on his mother? Will such a father want such treatment to be reciprocated over his daughter by her would be husband? The sickening condition of women be it social sphere or political or economic, creates a poor image of India in global scenario. When we look at the world, we find, women ruling the corporate world, women leading their countries, women reaching space and bringing names to their nations. Where does India stand in such a bright picture?

The World Economic Forum’s Global Gender Gap report 2015 ranked India at 139th position out of 145 counties on economic participation and opportunity gap! It has dropped from 35% in 1991 to 97% in 2014 which is far below the world’s average! If India really wants to bring massive changes in such reports and indices, it needs to nurture the true potential of women. As IMF had pointed out, increased women labour force participation can increase the GDP by 27%! This is the power of gender equality.

The need is for another round of RENAISSANCE like the one which took place during freedom struggle. This time, along with eliminating degradation of women, changes have to be brought in the mindsets of people. The humane qualities of RESPECT, EQUALITY and JUSTICE are to be inculcated in the hearts of people.

Government initiatives like Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan, Beti Bachao Beti Padhao, SABLA have been successful in bringing girls to schools. Unique initiatives like ‘Selfie with daughters’ are aimed to make people feel proud in having daughters! Ira Singhal and Tina Dabi have become trendsetters that education can take girls right at the top of the lists! They have become role models for the young generation. This is the beginning of attitudinal change. Olympians like Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu, Deepa Malik have shone at a time when the men of India failed their nation! The women of the country came forward and gracefully saved the pride of India!

If we need our society to progress, if we need India to emerge out as a world leader, we need to give enough strength to the women of the nation. We need to provide them with wings so that they can fly high, feel secure, respected and worthy!

(1233 words)

• Profile photo of Tahir Qureshi Tahir Qureshi @tahirqureshi021990

@simranbains Hello Miss.Barter! Tumne bulaya aur hum review krne chale aaye 😛

Awesome intro! really liked the mixed emotions.
      Liked the structure and flow. The way you managed it like from ancient and then coming till present, was very catchy.
      Only shikayat, beech me ek dum se negative zyada ho gya and gave me a feeling like you whining. 😀
      I dont feel that TIna Dabi and Ira SInghal have done something( i totally respct them, but i dont feel clearing CSE is a landmark). You can give better examples like Arundhatti Bhatacharya Ma’am of SBI, Shikha Sharma of Axiz Bank, ICICI wali MA’am ka naam yaad nhi aara! They are much influencial women. International women k lie you can give example of Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer. 🙂
      Overall, it was a good write-up. Really liked it.
      Chanda Koccchar ICICI yaad aa gya!
      Keep writing Simu! ATB

@tahirqureshi021990, bhale changge hain ji? 😛
      Thanks for the much needed review!!!
      Tujhe catchy lagaa? I thought over stretch kiya maine -.- but zaroori bhi tha degradation batane ke liye!
      Haan beech Mein feminist wale feels aaye! 😛
      I agree CSE is not a landmark. But it is all about hopes. Ira singhal and Tina dabi have given hopes to young generation especially girls and especially girls from marginalised sections. Ke wo kar sakte to hum kyun nahi? Yes I should have included some extra ordinary examples as well. Actually rough draft Mein I had written Chanda Kochhar and Arundhati Bhattacharya’s name but somehow skipped 🙁 my bad.
      Chalo! Next Sunday I’ll be waiting for your essay too. Thankiee!

• Profile photo of Confused Billi Confused Billi @confused

Kaafi hi jyaada phoda hai! Effortless writing and the start swept me away 🙂

@discuss might or might not get to check sunday essays but your mail did not reach them – you sure you dropped a mail to hello@civilsdaily.com already?

@confused 🙂
      Thanks for the review.
      And yes, I did send a mail and was expecting a reply all through the day. 🙁
      Nevertheless I have again dropped another mail. Please check. 🙂

• Profile photo of Confused Billi Confused Billi @confused

Something very weird! Your email hasn’t reached! Pls mention your email id where they can reach you out.

Hey @simranbains, very well written!!
      Very cogent and well structured. I don’t know if usage of so many exclamations is okay..

Hey @pranavce15,
      Thank you for the review! Glad you liked it. I though didn’t like it much 😛
      I have taken exclamation thingy as a critical comment. 😛 I’ll take care of it the next time.
      Will review yours in sometime.

It is good. No beating around the bush like I have done (I think) 🙂

Straight up talks about degradation of society with ample historical and present perspective. Especially the intro is fantastic and that made up for the lack of quote.

@pranavce15, the moment I read that news I had made up my mind to include it as an example in any answer or essay 😛 thanks for the review.

• Profile photo of Jitin Sharma Jitin Sharma @jitinsharma

Curious to know how @discuss marks it…btw a brilliant piece with balanced thought provoking ideas without a hint of misandry 🙂 loved the flow ..

@jitinsharma thank you so much. 🙂

• Profile photo of Nar Singh Nar Singh @nar-singh

Please review

Attachments:
  • Profile photo of Surbhi Sharma Surbhi Sharma @surbhisharma111093

Attached

Attachments:
    • Profile photo of Surbhi Sharma Surbhi Sharma @surbhisharma111093

by mistake i skipped uploading my last page…and was unable to delete and reupload…so here…(earlier from my acount Manik sharma) i hv again uploaded from my sisters account…
      Please review

• Profile photo of Narayana Sarma Narayana Sarma @narayanacbe

In India, the worship of goddesses is being carried out by most of the religions since advent of civilizations. However, in reality, do common women in form of mothers, wives and widows in our society receive same treatment? Let us search the answer for this question from ancient times of India. The ancient India irrespective of religions it followed had a patriarchal society, where men dominate, oppress and exploit women. For example, the ancient Hindu law giver Manu put that in no circumstances should women be allowed to assert her independently. One can see no contrasting differences between ancient and present times with respect to treatment of women. Recent incidents like that of Nirbhaya among several others, project a poor image of our nation to the world. The consequence of discriminatory and derogatory treatment of women can be understood from the ancient epic Ramayana and Sangam literature Silappatikaram, where Ravana’s kingdom was destroyed due to his misbehaviour with Sita and Kannagi burns Madurai due to injustice done by Pandyan King respectively. Thus, the root cause of social as well as national degradation is our treatment of women. Having set the theme, let us discuss how today’s society treats its women.
    Almost all boys who are born today, get educated, become an adult, take part in economic activities and contribute productively to nation in one way or other till death. But not all girls born today enjoy this. Apart from the sexual harassment of women, there is a growing disparity between men and women, indicating a unequal and discriminatory treatment of women. This is evident from the Gender Inequality Index (GII), published by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), in which India has higher value of 0.563 and ranks 130 out of 155 countries. Also, it can be substantiated by India’s dismal rank of 108 out of 145 countries in Global Gender Gap Index published by World Economic Forum (WEF). What are responsible factors for such differential treatment of our women? Digging deep, we find those as Education, Economic participation, Health and life expectancy. Firstly, women are not educated as much as men are. Analyzing the statistics of Census 2011, it is seen that the female literacy rate is 65.46% compared to male literacy rate of 82.14%. This is because some parents believe that they don’t get any returns, as women leave paternal home after their marriage. Secondly, the participation rate of women in work is lower compared to that of men. Our society is filled with stereotypes and prejudices that women should do the household chores, which is unpaid. Unpaid works do not come under economic activities. Thirdly, the healthy and nutritious food is not provided to girl children, makes them very prone to anaemic and other ills in later stage. Again, an inferior treatment is imposed upon girl children compared to boy children. By now, there may arise a question on whether there are any improvements in present status of women. Yes. In context of political empowerment, India has shown significant increase in number of women holding key positions in Central Government and State Governments.
    Another area where derogatory treatment is imposed upon women is their safety and security. Crimes against women, especially those belonging to minorities have been rampant. Some examples of sexual harassment are the gang rapes, which happened in Delhi (2012) and recently in Bulandshahr. The latter is an offence against a woman and her minor daughter. Unfortunately, there have been only additions and no mitigations in this respect. This is because, women are told to behave submissive, meek and subservient. Women from villages, also face threats from “Khap Panchayats” that allow honour killings, isolating a girl from society and prevent them from enjoying western culture. These incidents would have been minimal had the families taught women to be aggressive, display ownership, take decisions. In short, the main cause of these safety violations is patriarchal society. In addition, there are also incidents of trafficking women.
    Adding to the aspects of differential treatment and safety violations is the judiciary. Justice delayed is justice denied. Also, the lack of strict judicial sentences and granting of bails encourages the offences against women. For instance, a grant of bail to men who raped a mentally challenged woman in Rohtak district in Haryana encouraged them to commit the same offence against same woman for the second time. We now know the situation of women in present. They must be uplifted and empowered to a greater extent. They should get inspired by their present leading counterparts namely Kiran Bedi (Retired IPS), Arundhati Bhattacharya, Indira Nooyi, Kiran Mazumdar, Chanda Kochhar and many others and should ensure fair and equal treatment of fellow women. They should not forget that women like Rani Lakshmi Bai, Sucheta Kriplani, Rani Gaidinliu played important role in our freedom struggle Having realised how degradation of women degrades our Bharatmata (India), it is time to know about the steps taken by the Government of India to empower and ensure fair and equal treatment of women.
    To address discriminatory treatment in child and maternal nutrition, the Integrated Child Development Services has been universalised and strengthened. “Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao” has asserted the government’s priority for women’s health. The safety and security of women has been enhanced by the amendment of Criminal Law Act 2013 to stringently punish rape. To prevent such sexual assaults, the One Stop Centres have been initiated. Also, to prevent female infanticides/ selective abortion of female childs in foetus, the legislation Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (Regulation and Prevention of Misuse) Act 1994 has been enacted.
    In the end, one should think of Swami Vivekananda’s quote which states, “There is no chance for welfare of the world unless the condition of women is improved. It is not possible for a bird to fly on only one wing” before treating a woman in derogatory or discriminatory way.
    ————————————————————————————–
    @discuss @kunalaggarwal @simranbains and others, Please Review.

Hello @narayanacbe,
      Just finished reading your essay.
      found it very gripping and interesting.
      The flow was smooth and language was lucid. Content was really good. 🙂
      Few suggestions-
      -Social degradation was aptly described. You didn’t do enough justice to national degradation part( I felt)
      -The periodization of degradation of women could have been better, how?
      high-low-reforms-still low-reforms needed
      -You could give examples of matriarchal societies as well, like the communities of Assam. Even I l;eft out on this one.
      Rest is very good. Conclusion very nice! All the very best. 😀

@simranbains sorry! Just saw your valuable review. Thanks for it! I hope you are writing essay today.

Hey @narayanacbe , I’ll surely review your essay by the end of the day. Hope that’s fine. 🙂

Thanks in advance @simranbains. Your essay is awesome!

• Profile photo of Manik Sharma Manik Sharma @maniksharma

Attached

Attachments:
  • Profile photo of Kunal Aggarwal Kunal Aggarwal @kunalaggarwal

Society and Nation are depended on its people, their culture and beliefs. The progress of a nation and society depends on their diversity and acceptance of change. Women and not just men play an important role in ensuring better moral values in society. They are equal participants in nation building and can help in economic as well as social development of the country. We have had great examples of the likes of Sarojini Naidu, Indira Gandhi, P.T. Usha, Kalpana Chawla who have motivated thousands of Indian girls.

Women’s contribution to societies can not be neglected. Various international and domestic organization and reports have brought out the impact of women involvement in nation building. They handle the toughest of household jobs which do include lifting heavy items, management of household accounts and taking decisions related to household activities. They are the ones who bring up the child. However, when it comes to giving them opportunities in economic and political sphere, men often put the arguments related to their strength, emotion etc.

Discrimination against women have harmed the development process. It impacts their mental and physical development as well. Unhealthy women give birth to an unhealthy new generation. The restrictive participation of women in workforce has impacted nation’s GDP. They can help in mitigating many diseases, improve productivity in rural economy and open work opportunities. SHGs are an important way to realize their importance. These self help groups empower women to start their small enterprises which generates further employment.

However, women have been majorly treated as an inferior class. Sex is natural whereas Gender is a social construct. Men have always come up with explanations regarding women’s incapability due to their sex. Various parameters like maternal mortality, institutional births, diseases profile shows the picture of this discrimination. It is not uncommon to hear about female foeticide, domestic violence, rapes and discrimination against women in daily life.

Indian society has subjugated women since the time of later Vedic period. Women were forced to stay at home and do the household work whereas men were supposed to go out and earn for the family. They were generally kept out of political discussions of family and society. Education opportunities have always been less than apt. These practices are not restricted to a religion, caste or regions.

This has continued for centuries and penetrated even in today’s world. These methods of discrimination can be seen in everyday subtleties. Even today, women are assumed to be homemakers in many communities and are often not given the attention they deserve. Widows, Divorcees and Single women are seen with suspicion and disgust even in the most moderns of Indian society.

Rampant illegal female foeticide and sex determination implies the importance we attach to the patriarchal world. Sex ratio of the country has decreased over last few decades and some regions have been showing drastic trends below 900. It has been reported that some men from Haryana were marrying the girls from Kerala because there were no women in their village. Child abuse with girls below the ages of 5 years have been reported from our societies. This treatment of women is taking us back to centuries old way of living.

Western Societies had similar discriminative practices until recently. Women were given right to vote in Americas only in 20th century. Societies like Japan, America, Europe have been able to improve situation of women and hence their growth trajectories. While India gave political and civil rights for women, their implementation has lacked the political will. The constitution of India provides equality before law and abolition of discrimination based on sex. Directive principles have given enough emphasis on the plight of women.

There is a need for social reforms like the ones in 19th century India which led to decrease in child marriages and practice of Sati. There is more need to make the environment for women conducive to their equal participation in all spheres.

“If you educate a man you educate an individual, but if you educate a woman you educate a family (nation)”

Women education is an important step to take further. Schemes like Beti Bachao Beti Padhao, Free education, Cycles for school girls, Sukanya Samridhi Yojana and Ladli should be implemented with full dedication.

Even today women are not treated equally in offices where they are employed. It is best exemplified by women employed in textile sector where there are low wages, no security and harsh working hours. Even in organized sector, they often face discrimination in promotions and daily work conditions. For example – The police working hours are harsh sometimes for women officers to follow.

There has to be more focus on providing better work culture and environment. Women friendly infrastructure, ensuring equal wages, better working hours and safety of women are important to increase their participation. Government should legislate and take positive actions to give them their rightful place. Nutrition and health facilities are very important for women to ensure a healthy workforce and a better new generation.

Judiciary has also taken important steps over time by judicial activism by laying down guidelines such as Vishakha guidelines for domestic violence. Recent debates on women rights to enter temples and mosques must be settled through deliberation and involving all stakeholders. These will go a long way in changing the society.

At the end, I would like to emphasize that the change is the only constant. We must realize the importance of this equality and embrace the change rather than stopping the change.

• Profile photo of udyan sharma udyan sharma @udyansharma007

“Man can never be a woman’s equal in the spirit of selfless service with which nature has endowed her.” – Mahatma Gandhi
    Women during the early Vedic period enjoyed equal status with men in all aspects of life.Works by ancient Indian grammarians such as Patanjali and Katyayana suggest that women were educated in the early Vedic period.Rigvedic verses suggest that women married at a mature age and were probably free to select their own husbands.Scriptures such as the Rig Veda and Upanishads mention several women sages and seers, notably Gargi and Maitreyi.
    In approximately 500 B.C., the status of women began to decline Indian women’s position in society further deteriorated during the medieval period,when child marriages and a ban on remarriage by widows became part of social life in some communities in India. The Muslim conquest in the Indian subcontinent brought purdah to Indian society. Among the Rajputs of Rajasthan, the Jauhar was practised. In some parts of India, some of Devadasis were sexually exploited. Polygamy was practised among Hindu Kshatriya rulers for some political reasons.In many Muslim families, women were restricted to Zenana areas of the house.In spite of these conditions, women often became prominent in the fields of politics, literature, education and religion.Razia Sultana became the only woman monarch to have ever ruled Delhi. The Gond queen Durgavati ruled for fifteen years before losing her life in a battle with Mughal emperor Akbar’s general Asaf Khan in 1564. Chand Bibi defended Ahmednagar against the powerful Mughal forces of Akbar in the 1590s. Jehangir’s wife Nur Jehan effectively wielded imperial power, and was recognised as the real power behind the Mughal throne.
    According to 2011 census the total population of India is-1,210,854,977 in which 58,64,69,174 are women and it was revealed that the population ratio in India 2011 is 940 females per 1000 of males.approximate 0.6 billion women which is 48% of country population if they are not living well then half of the country is in darkness the welfare of women is must otherwise whole nation will be lame and collapse,hence keeping the women backward and thinking about the progress of nation is a folly next to none.
    The condition of women in a society is an index of that society’s place in civilization. India is a multifaceted society where women’s status is heavily dependent on many different variables that include geographical location (Urban/Rural), educational status, social status (Caste and class), and age. As such, women and girls have restricted mobility, access to education, access to health facilities and lower decision-making power, and experience higher rates of violence. Despite existing reservations for women, their political participation is also hindered even at the panchayat (local governing bodies) level and also at the state and national levels. Policies on women’s welfare and empowerment exist at the national, state, and local (panchayat) levels in many sectors, including health, education, economic opportunities, and political participation etc. However, there are significant gaps between policy advancements and actual practice at the ground level.
    Women living standards and its social status can be understand by basic living features as-Education,health,Safety,Career opportunity, gender equality.
    If you educate a man you educate an individual, but if you educate a woman you educate a family (nation).
    We consider female literacy rate in India, then it is lower than the male literacy rate as many parents do not allow their female children to go to schools. They get married off at a young age instead. Though child marriage has been lowered to very low levels, it still happens. Many families, especially in rural areas believe that having a male child is better than having a baby girl. So the male child gets all the benefits. Today, the female literacy levels according to the Literacy Rate 2011 census are 65.46% where the male literacy rate is over 80%.Still major uneducated females are there and this illiteracy will further harm their life,which of course is a damage to nation development.
    India has the world’s second-largest workforce, at 478 million people. And yet the proportion of women in the workforce is only 24 percent. The number of senior-level female employees sits at 5 percent, compared with a global average of about 20 percent, and almost half of all women stop working before they reach the middle of their careers, in large part because even well-educated Indians cling to traditional views of women’s roles. In rural India in the agriculture and allied industrial sectors, females account for as much as 89.5% of the labour force.In overall farm production, women’s average contribution is estimated at 55% to 66% of the total labour but still informal activities do not give economical security to them.Now there have been several court rulings guaranteeing the right of earning the same pay for the same amount of work, it remains a distant reality in practice. This is particularly true of the unorganized sector especially dealing with manual labour where the Minimum Wage Act norms are often violated. Besides these women get no maternity leave, or proper transportation facilities especially in the night shifts. Unequal pay for the same job happens to be one problem that men sometimes face as well.
    Women in India face issues like malnutrition, lack of maternal health, diseases like AIDS , breast cancer, domestic violence and many more.Maternal malnutrition has been associated with an increased risk of maternal mortality and also child birth defects. Addressing the issues of malnutrition would have a beneficial outcomes for women and children. The lack of maternal health contributes to the economic disparities of mothers and their children.Poor maternal health not only affects a child’s health in adverse ways but also decreases a woman’s ability to participate in economic activities.Now Suicide is a major problem in India. The suicide rate in India is five times higher than that of the developed world. Furthermore, the rate of suicide has been found to be higher in women as compared to men in India.
    Year 2015 saw the registration of 3,27,394 cases under the head of Crimes against Women 34651 rape cases, “assault on women with intent to outrage her modesty” under this category 84,222 cases being registered across the country The category includes offences such as sexual harrassment, assault or use of criminal force to women with intent to disrobe, voyeurism, and stalking, Kidnapping and abduction of women also increased in 2015 — to 59,277 cases from 57,311 in 2014. show figures from the National Crime Records Bureau.

Does backwardness of women lead to backwardness of the Nation?
    Yes it is true. It is backwardness of women that:
    1.Results in a society that is morally weak and full of Crimes,corruption and favouritism,ineptness and incompetence,drug addiction.
    2.Wreaks havocs with the economy of the country by affecting:decrease in GDP,decrease in exports,decrease in tax revenues of state,rise in inflation,increase in poverty
    3.Adversely affect the health conditions of nation because of:poor knowledge of hygiene and cleanliness,poor knowledge of nutrition,ignorance of ways to stay healthy
    4.Generates the issue of overpopulation
    5.Creates a deleterious impacts on image of nation
    Why this Causes of Women backwardness-Because we are not treating them well,we don’t respect their rights,independence,we chained them with draconian patriarchal society rules, narrow-mindedness, patriarchal stereotype people don’t want the empowerment of women,feeling of insecurity of these people still dominates the social behavior in any parts of India.We can understand this lagging of women from following classified causes as-
    Religious causes- Negative role of so-called religious leaders,Misinterpretation of religious injunctions.
    Political causes- poor or insufficient legislation,lack of political will
    Social causes-illiteracy of men,Taboos,biased perspective, customs and traditions, Security issues
    Economic causes- Poverty at domestic level, Budgetary constraints at national level .
    Yes there are different steps being taken at National and International levels for Women Empowerment but still the implementation of this different schemes and measures have some flaws.Through all these years, the attention is only on developing and devising new schemes, policies and programmes and have paid less attention to the proper monitoring system and implementation short-sightedness, for e.g. despite the presence of The Pre-Natal Diagnostic Technologies Act and various health programmes like Janani Suraksha Yojana and National Rural Health Mission (NHRM), our country has a skewed sex ratio and a high maternal mortality . rate (MMR). but as –
    Kofi Annan said “There is no tool for development more effective than the empowerment of women”
    We need to remove these flaws by strict law,well education, replacing ‘patriarchy’, political will so women could lead politically to public, bridging implementation gaps of women welfare schemes and by proper awareness about women rights and independence then there is a chance when we be able to get a society where women are respected as they deserve and they can feel safe and free.
    So our society and nation’s development depends on how we treat our women,a society where women respected and treated well and as equal as men is the ideal society and their positive participation in every constructive activity will make our country as a real developed country.

• Profile photo of Vivaan Khanna Vivaan Khanna @vivaan-khanna

Ravana, the king of Lanka was very knowledgeable and powerful person. Still his kingdom was destroyed, he was defeated by Ram and subsequently killed? Why? Because he stole the wife of Ram and misbehaved with her inspite of all caveat from his mother and wife. This was the mythological story from treta yuga.
    Come to Dwapara yuga,the whole kaurava clan was destroyed because of misdeeds of one Kaurava,Duryodhana.He conducted the ‘cheer haran’ of Draupadi publicly which set the stage for his defeat in battle of Kurukshetra.
    Matter does not end with two references unless we talk about kaliyuga(contemporary world),families of all accused involved in Nirbhaya rape case were destroyed completely as some of them committed suicide while others are facing the wrath of the society.
    No matter where the world reaches even after the centuries of 21st century, if women will be humiliated and given undeserved treatment then it would pave the way for degradation both socially and nationally.
    A society is made up of individuals and communities but both of them will be destroyed if their women are not treated well.
    At individual level, when a person misbehaves or harasses his wife or sister he is receives uncalled attention of society. Nobody would like to marry with his daughters, sons or brothers as they may be also like his brother. This may cause tension in life as a result of which he may not be able to concentrate on his work in his office and hence looses job. To add salt to wound, if he needs financial or moral support nobody will come forward. Troubled family life, lost job and lack of finances may lead him to take shelter in liquors and drugs. But they can give only temporary penance. Ultimately he would have to face what is in his platter. At this juncture he is left with no option but suicide or slow death through liquor consumption and drug addiction. Remember he committed no sin but used to harass his wife and sister but that only became the cause of his degradation and destruction.
    Moving on to communities we find that those communities which do not respect women or treat them badly either degrade or perish away. This is not a curse or something based upon assumptions. Rather it is based upon certain logics and reasons. How can a community survive when one of its links is being destructed and exploited by other link? This is catastrophic as it is leading to the disability of such communities. If a matriarchal society can’t be made then at least make it egalitarian than patriarchal one.
    Though patriarchy is prominent in most of India but in Haryana and surrounding regions it took its extreme form through various laws and enforcement of khap panchayats. Even after independence, women were not allowed to dress as per their choice, talk on cellphones, receive education and worst of all female foeticide being at the top. But it created problems for the people there when things started unfolding.
    Though prosperous in agriculture and business, its sex ratio hurt it most. Facing the threat of not having next generation, trafficking from other states started. Many poor girls from other parts of country were married to aged people of Haryana. They were ill treated and forced to become mothers at very tender age when they were not prepared physically or mentally. All this received the attention of police, law makers and judiciary who made the things better. Success of Beti bacaho beti padhao in the state proves that people of Haryana have realized the importance of having daughters. Still it will take many years for Haryana to remove the blot of low sex ratio. If things would not have changed then communities in Haryana may have destroyed for their treatment of women.
    Having proved that root cause of social degradation lies in treatment of women, national factor also requires consideration. A nation survives if its society, culture, economy, and international recognition survives otherwise it will degrade.
    If society of a nation is annihilated, it will meet its end someday or another. So, from above if timely intervention of govt was not there in Haryana, it would have affected India’s sovereignty.
    Culturally, no matter how well your culture is, if women are not treated well, nation will destroy. India is said to be very strong country in terms of culture but from rig vedic period to Mughals period,none of the dynasties and monarchs gave deserved treatment to women. Ladies like Raziya Sultan,Noor Jahan and Durgawati tried to carve out niche for themselves but had to face the opposition from men of their time. Their intellect, their decisions, their love and emotions, all were questioned and face with opposition from the opposite sex. Result was that India could never be woven into single nation, British took the opportunity and we were colonized. Later when we realized the mistake, we ensured the participation of women in freedom struggle and today we are independent democratic country.
    Being democratic is not enough when you don’t have economic empowerment. But Economic empowerment can’t come when women are confined within four walls to look after children while men earn. Such treatment misses women’s perspective in economy which may be necessary for its survival. For example, men may think about increasing forex reserves, enhance trade, participate in ADB and NDB, print money and curb inflation etc. While these may have short term returns, long term ones are being missed. Women being emotional creature of God may suggest that spending on social infrastructure and removing menaces like poverty and diseases will pay dividend. In lack of such thoughts, nation move towards its sunset. Researchers have proven that companies where women are at top are reaching their climax because of their hard work,decision making,leadership and discipline. Realising the importance of women, Mckinsey report has very aptly said in context of India that “India’s GDP can increase by 30% if all of its women are employed”
    Lastly, with economy you need to build rapport with other nations and establish your international recognition to enable your nation on the track of progress. Again, this is not possible without the participation of women. A question here arises that why US is world leader today while Saudi Arabia inspite of being an oil rich nation is struggling to have leadership in its own nation.Reason is that US involved its women from American war of independence to today’s presidential elections while Arab continues to deprive even basic rights of its women and never passed the baton of leadership to women.
    Taking lead from US, If Vijay Laxmi Pandit was not well treated in India then it would have missed the recognition that” first lady president of UN assembly was from India”.In recent times likes of Sushma Swaraj,Sakshi Malik and Priyanka Chopra are giving due recognition at international level because we treated them well and now they are reciprocating through excellence in various field.
    Thus the moral of the story is that give equal space to women in your heart, society and nation else you are writing the chapter for your degradation.In contemporary times,facing the threat of degradation societies,communities and nations have started treating their women well.India’s step in the form of Prevention of domestic violence act,maternity act,article 14,15 and 16 of constitution,formation of separate ministry of women and child development as well as national commission of women and schemes like beti bachao beti padhao,kanya vidyadhan,sukanya samridhi yojana and nayi roshni etc are laudable.
    women are one of the most beautiful creatures of God. When God has not discriminated and provided this world with both males and females for their various roles then who are we to discriminate and snatch the role of our counterpart?
    Ramayana would have different plot if knowledgeable Ravana could realize on time that even his God to whom he worshipped genuinely,Lord Shiva was incomplete without his wife and used to take her suggestions before making any decision then why should he not follow his mother and wife’s suggestion?

• Profile photo of Vivek Es Vivek Es @vivekes

In my opinion our treatment towards women is not so worse every where ,but certainly worse in some areas.making in to clear ,in the case of reservation’s our government is providing equal priority to both men and women.but the problem is not exactly out there,according to my views the problem arises when some people’s crossing the boundaries ,and it is not the whole society is responsible for it ,and in order to overcome this ,a strong judicial system ensuring full security is to be formed,and the better awareness also should be ensured in the society with regarded to everyone’s responsibility towards this point of view.

@confused,
    I’ve received the mail. 🙂
    Thank you.
    Gmail Mein hai nahi par banaa lenge. I’ll ping you guys from a new id tomorrow. Hope that’s okay.

This topic contains 37 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Narayana Sarma Narayana Sarma 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Highest Rated App. Over 3 lakh users. Click to Download!!!