From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS)
Mains level : Read the attached story
The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has published three significant Indian Standards in the area of Electronics.
Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS)
[A] Digital television receivers
- BIS has published an Indian Standard IS 18112:2022 Speciﬁcation for television with built in satellite tuners.
- TVs manufactured as per this Indian standard would enable reception of Free-To-Air TV and Radio channels just by connecting a dish antenna.
- This would facilitate transmission of knowledge about government initiatives, schemes, and educational content of Doordarshan and repository of Indian culture programs.
- At present, TV viewers in the country need to purchase set-top box for viewing various paid and free channels.
[B] USB Type C receptacles
- BIS has published Indian standard IS/IEC 62680-1-3:2022 USB Type-C® Cable and Connector Speciﬁcation.
- This Indian standard is adoption of existing International standard IEC 62680-1- 3:2022.
- This standard provides requirements for USB Type-C port, plug and cables for use in various electronic devices like mobile phone, laptop, notebook etc.
- This standard would provide common charging solutions for the smartphones and other electronic devices sold in the country.
- This would facilitate in reduction in number of charger per consumer as consumers will no longer need to buy diﬀerent chargers or generate e-waste.
[C] Video Surveillance Systems (VSS)
- BIS, through its technical committee on Alarms and Electronic Security Systems has developed a series of Indian Standard (IS 16910) on Video Surveillance Systems for use in Security Applications.
- IS 16910 series of Standards is an adoption of the International Standard IEC 62676 series.
- It provides a detailed outline of all the aspects of a VSS System such as requirements for its components like camera devices, interfaces, system requirements and tests to ascertain the image quality of the camera devices.
- This will also help in making the surveillance system more secure, robust and cost effective.
Crack Prelims 2023! Talk to our Rankers
(Click) FREE 1-to-1 on-call Mentorship by IAS-IPS officers | Discuss doubts, strategy, sources, and more