From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : C-295
Mains level : Not Much
- In a significant milestone, the Indian Air Force (IAF) received its inaugural C-295 transport aircraft during a ceremony held in Seville, Spain.
- IAF’s fleet of C-295s is set to become the largest globally, with an initial order for 56 aircraft.
- The C-295MW is a transport aircraft with a carrying capacity ranging from 5 to 10 tonnes.
- It can accommodate up to 71 troops or 49 para-troopers, offering significant flexibility.
- The aircraft boasts a maximum cruise speed of 260 knots, ensuring rapid deployment.
- Its exceptional low-level flight characteristics enable tactical missions, even at slow speeds as low as 110 knots.
- The C-295 is equipped with a rear ramp door, facilitating swift troop and cargo deployments.
- Each aircraft is outfitted with an indigenous Electronic Warfare Suite developed by Bharat Electronics Ltd and Bharat Dynamics Limited.
- Two Pratt & Whitney Canada PW127G turboprop engines propel the aircraft.
- The C-295 exhibits short take-off and landing (STOL) capabilities, enabling the use of unprepared airstrips.
Significance of the aircraft
- India’s entry into aircraft production will place it among a select group of nations with the capability to manufacture C-295 aircraft.
- This group includes countries like the US, UK, Russia, France, Italy, Spain, Ukraine, Brazil, China, and Japan.
- The project will stimulate India’s aerospace ecosystem, involving numerous MSMEs across the country in the manufacturing of aircraft components.
- This includes areas of strategic importance, such as the border with China and the Andaman and Nicobar archipelago.