From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Galwan valley, Shyok River
Mains level : India-China border skirmishes and its de-escalation
Three weeks after the worst military clashes in decades, India and China have begun the process of disengagement at contentious locations along the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
China is moving back
- In the Galwan Valley, Chinese troops have shifted 2 kilometres from the site violent clashes while some tents had been removed by the PLA in the Finger 4 area of Pangong Tso.
- India’s claim is till Finger 8 as per the alignment of the LAC.
- Some rearward movement of vehicles was seen at the general area of Galwan, Hotsprings and Gogra.
- Without giving the specific distances moved, the source said the pullback at each location would be confirmed after verification.
- The lesson for us in Doklam is that disengagement is not enough in order to declare an end to tensions at the LAC.
- It is necessary that we define endpoints up to where the troops must withdraw to and no understanding should be reached without the restoration of status quo ante.
- Endpoint variances reflect the potential for future troubles along the LAC.