From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Dehing Patkai WLS
Mains level : Wildlife conservation and various policy efforts
The Assam government has decided to upgrade Dehing Patkai Wildlife Sanctuary into a National Park.
Try this question from CSP 2019:
Which one of the following National Parks lies completely in the temperate alpine zone?
(a) Manas National Park
(b) Namdapha National Park
(c) Neora Valley National Park
(d) Valley of Flowers National Park
Dehing Patkai WLS
- Dehing Patkai WLS is located in the Dibrugarh and Tinsukia Districts of Assam and covers an area of 111.19 sq. km rainforest.
- It is located in the Dehing Patkai landscape which is a dipterocarp-dominated lowland rainforest.
- It spreads across the coal- and oil-rich districts of Upper Assam (Dibrugarh, Tinsukia and Sivasagar) and is believed to be the last remaining contiguous patch of lowland rainforest area in Assam.
- The WLS due to their importance for elephant habitat was declared as Dehing-Patkai Elephant Reserve under Project Elephant.
- Post upgradation, Dehing Patkai will be the sixth national park in Assam — the other five being Kaziranga, Nameri, Manas, Orang and Dibru-Saikhowa.