From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Indian Broadcasting Foundation
Mains level : Self regulation by electronic media
The Indian Broadcasting Foundation (IBF), the apex body of broadcasters, is expanding its purview to cover digital streaming platforms and will be renamed the Indian Broadcasting and Digital Foundation (IBDF).
Why such a move?
- The move would bring broadcasters and OTT (over-the-top) platforms, which have seen a substantial jump in their viewership base after the pandemic, under one roof.
- For this, the IBDF was in the process of forming a new wholly-owned subsidiary to handle all matters of digital media, an official statement said.
- The IBDF would also form a self-regulatory body, the Digital Media Content Regulatory Council (DMCRC), for digital OTT platforms.
Indian Broadcasting Foundation
- The IBF is a unified representative body of television broadcasters in India.
- The organization was founded in the year 1999. Over 250 Indian television channels are associated with it.
- The organization is credited as the spokesman of the Indian Broadcasting Industry.
- The IBF is the parent organization of the Broadcasting Content Complaints Council (BCCC) which was set up in the year 2011.
- The BCCC examines content-related complaints relating to all non-news general entertainment channels in India.
Note: The IBF has no statutory backing.