From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project
Mains level : Lift Irrigation
- Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project (KLIP) claimed as the world’s largest multi-stage and multi-purpose lift irrigation scheme, was inaugurated.
About the Kaleshwaram Lift Irrigation Project
- The Kaleshwaram project is an off-shoot of the original Pranahitha-Chevella Lift Irrigation Scheme taken up by the government in 2007 when Andhra Pradesh was not divided.
- It is aimed to make Telangana drought proof by harnessing the flood waters of the Godavari.
- Waters of the Godavari will be tapped by reverse pumping and storage, thereby facilitating agriculture on over 38 lakh acres.
- It would help rejuvenate thousands of tanks, providing water for industries, and supplying drinking water to Hyderabad and Secunderabad by creating a series of storage tanks and a network of pipelines.
Which rivers are involved?
- The project starts at the confluence point of Pranahita River (amajor tributary of Godavari River) and Godavari River.
- Pranahita river is a confluence of various other smaller tributaries like Wardha, Penganga and Wainganga Rivers.