From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Miyawaki Method
Mains level : Miyawaki Method of Afforestation
Kerala Forest Dept. has adopted Miyawaki afforestation concept to be used in govt. offices, schools and puramboke land.
- Miyawaki method is a method of urban afforestation by turning backyards into mini-forests.
- It includes planting trees as close as possible in the same area which not only saves space, but the planted saplings also support each other in growth and block sunlight reaching the ground, thereby preventing the growth of weed.
- Thus the saplings become maintenance-free (self sustainable) after the first three years.
- It helps to create a forest in just 20 to 30 years while through conventional methods it takes anywhere between 200 to 300 years.
- The native trees of the region are identified and divided into four layers — shrub, sub-tree, tree, and canopy.
- The quality of soil is analysed and biomass which would help enhance the perforation capacity, water retention capacity, and nutrients in it, is mixed with it.
- A mound is built with the soil and the seeds are planted at a very high density — three to five sapling per square meter.
- The ground is covered with a thick layer of mulch.