From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Technical Textiles, About the Mission
Mains level : Textile sector of India and its global competitiveness
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has given its approval to set up a National Technical Textiles Mission with a view to position the country as a global leader in Technical Textiles.
What are Technical Textiles?
- Technical textile is a textile product manufactured for non-aesthetic purposes, where the function is primary criterion.
- They are functional fabrics that have applications across various industries including automobiles, civil engineering and construction, agriculture, healthcare, industrial safety, personal protection etc.
- Technical Textiles is a high technology sunrise sector which is steadily gaining ground in. India.
National Technical Textiles Mission
- The Mission would have a four year implementation period from FY 2020-21 to 2023-24.
- It will move into sunset phase after four years period.
- A Mission Directorate in the Min. of Textiles headed by an eminent expert in the related field will be made operational.
- The Directorate will not have any permanent employment and there will be no creation of building infrastructure for the Mission purpose.
Components of the mission
Component-I: Promoting both (i) fundamental research at fibre level and (ii) application-based research in geo-textiles, agro-textiles, medical textiles, mobile textiles and sports textiles and development of biodegradable technical textiles.
Component-II: Promotion and Market Development.
Component-III: Export promotion of technical textiles and ensuring 10% average growth in exports per year upto 2023-24. An Export Promotion Council for Technical Textiles will be set up for this purpose.
Component-IV: Promoting technical education at higher engineering and technology levels related to technical textiles.