From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : ASPIRE Portal
Mains level : Not Much
The International Centre for Automotive Technology (ICAT) is developing a technology platform for the automotive industry called ASPIRE – Automotive Solutions Portal for Industry, Research and Education.
Try this MCQ:
Q.The recently launched ASPIRE Portal deals with:
a) Aspirational Districts
b) Primary Education
c) Industrial Clusters
d) Automotive Technology
- The key objective of this portal is to facilitate the Indian Automotive Industry to become self-reliant by assisting in innovation and adoption of global technological advancements.
- It aims to bring together the stakeholders from various associated avenues.
- This includes bringing together the automotive OEMs, Tier 1 Tier 2 & Tier 3 companies, R&D institutions and academia (colleges & universities) on matters involving technology advancements.
- The activities would include R&D, Product Technology Development, Technological Innovations, Technical and Quality Problem Resolution for the industry, Manufacturing and Process Technology Development etc.
- Apart from acting as a solution and resource platform, the portal will also host grand challenges in line with the need of the industry as will be identified from time to time, for development of key automotive technologies.
- International Centre for Automotive Technology (ICAT) is located at Manesar in Gurugram district of Haryana.
- It is a govt entity owned by the Ministry of Heavy Industries.
- It has facilities for vehicle homologation and also testing laboratories for noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) and passive safety.
- It also includes a powertrain laboratory, engine dynamometers, emission laboratory with Euro-V capability, a fatigue laboratory, passive safety laboratory, and vehicle test tracks.