From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Not much
Mains level : Paper 3- Drone use for covid vaccine delivery
Conditional drone use exemption for vaccine delivery
- Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA) and Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) have granted conditional exemption to the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
- The exemption is granted for conducting feasibility study of Covid-19 vaccine delivery using drones in collaboration with IIT Kanpur.
- The permission exemption is valid for a period of one year or until further orders.
Entities using drone on conditional drone use exemption basis
- Conditional drone use exemption has been granted to the below entities for said purposes:
- Nagar Nigam of Dehradun, Haldwani, Haridwar & Rudrapur for preparation of GIS based property database & electronic tax register.
- West Central Railway, (WCR) Kota for train accident site & maintaining safety & security of the railway assets.
- West Central Railway, (WCR) Katni for train accident site & maintaining safety & security of the railway assets.
- Vedanta Ltd. (Cairn Oil & Gas) also received the conditional drone usage exemption for data acquisition for asset inspecting & mapping.