From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : E-Shram Portal
Mains level : Welfare of the unorganized workers
The Union Ministry of Labour & Employment will launch the e-Shram portal – National Database on Unorganized Workers (NDUW).
What is the E-Shram Portal?
- The government aims to register 38 crore unorganized workers, such as construction labourers, migrant workforce, street vendors and domestic workers, among others.
- The workers will be issued an e-Shram card containing a 12-digit unique number, which, going ahead, will help in including them in social security schemes.
- The government had earlier missed deadlines for creating the database, inviting criticism from the Supreme Court.
How will the registration for workers happen on the portal?
- The registration of workers on the portal will be coordinated by the Labour Ministry, state governments, trade unions and CSCs.
- Awareness campaigns would be planned across the country to enable nationwide registration of workers.
- Following the launch of the portal, workers from the unorganized sector can begin their registration from the same day.
- A national toll free number — 14434 — will also be launched to assist and address the queries of workers seeking registration on the portal.
- A worker can register on the portal using his/her Aadhaar card number and bank account details, apart from filling other necessary details like date of birth, home town, mobile number and social category.