From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Jim Corbett NP, NTCA
Mains level : Tiger Conservation
The Delhi High Court has asked the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) to consider as a representation a petition to stop the alleged illegal construction of bridges and walls within the tiger breeding habitat of the Corbett Tiger Reserve.
Jim Corbett National Park
- Jim Corbett NP is the oldest national park in India and was established in 1936 as Hailey National Park to protect the endangered Bengal tiger.
- It is located in Nainital district and Pauri Garhwal district of Uttarakhand and was named after hunter and naturalist Jim Corbett.
- The park was the first to come under the Project Tiger initiative.
- It has sub-Himalayan belt geographical and ecological characteristics.
- Dense moist deciduous forest mainly consists of sal, haldu, peepal, rohini and mango trees.
- Forest covers almost 73% of the park, while 10% of the area consists of grasslands.
Try answering this PYQ:
Among the following Tiger Reserves, which one has the largest area under “Critical Tiger Habitat” ? (CSP 2020)
(c) Nagarjunasagar- Srisailam
Post your answers here:
Back2Basics: National Tiger Conservation Authority
- The NTCA was established in December 2005, following a recommendation of the Tiger Task Force, constituted by the Prime Minister of India.
- The Wildlife Protection Act of 1972 was amended in 2006 to provide for constituting NTCA responsible for the implementation of the Project Tiger plan to protect endangered tigers.
- It works for the reorganized management of Project Tiger and the many Tiger Reserves in India.
- A program for protection called, ‘Tiger Protection Program’ (popularly known as Project Tiger) was started in 1973, by the GOI in co-operation with WWF.