From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Fast Track Special Courts
Mains level : Resolving judicial pendency
The Union Cabinet has approved the continuation of 1023 Fast Track Special Court (FTSCs) including 389 exclusive POCSO Courts for two more years.
Fast Track Special Courts
- Fast Track Special Courts are dedicated courts expected to ensure swift dispensation of justice.
- They have a better clearance rate as compared to the regular courts and hold speedy trials.
- Besides providing quick justice to the hapless victims, it strengthens the deterrence framework for sexual offenders.
- Central Share is to be funded from Nirbhaya Fund. The Scheme was launched on 02.10.2019.
- To bring more stringent provisions and expeditious trial and disposal of such cases, the Central Government enacted “The Criminal Law (Amendment) Act, 2018”.
- It made provision of stringent punishment including the death penalty for perpetrators of rape.
- This led to the establishment of the Fast Track Special Courts (FTSCs).
Note: Article 247 gives power to Parliament to establish certain additional courts for the better administration of laws made by it or of any existing laws with respect to a matter enumerated in the Union List.
Benefits offered by fast track courts
- Further the commitment of the Nation to champion the cause of safety and security of women and girl child.
- Reduce the number of pending cases of Rape & POCSO Act.
- Provide speedy access to justice to the victims of sexual crimes and act as a deterrent for sexual offenders.
- Fastracking of these cases will declog the judicial system of the burden of case pendency.