From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : HSS scheme
Mains level : Textile sector of India
The Ministry of Textiles introduced the technology up-gradation scheme called Hathkargha Samvardhan Sahayata (HSS) Yojana.
Much recently, in the budget, the Mega Investment Textiles Parks (MITRA) Scheme was launched.
- This scheme is introduced as an up-gradation scheme under National Handloom Development Programme (NHDP) and Comprehensive Handloom Cluster Development Scheme (CHCDS) in 2015-16.
- It aims to provide upgraded looms/accessories to handloom weavers to improve the quality of the fabric and enhance productivity.
- Under the scheme, the Union Govt bears 90% of the cost of looms/accessories.
- It is designed for all the weavers, including SC/ST/OBC and women.
- The performance of this scheme will be evaluated by independent third-party agencies.