From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : PM-KISAN
Mains level : Cash support schemes for farmers
The PM-Kisan scheme, launched with an aim to ensure a life of dignity and prosperity for farmers has completed two years of successful implementation.
- Under this programme, vulnerable landholding farmer families, having cultivable land upto 2 hectares, will be provided direct income support at the rate of Rs. 6,000 per year.
- This income support will be transferred directly into the bank accounts of beneficiary farmers, in three equal instalments of Rs. 2,000 each.
- This programme will be entirely funded by the Government of India.
Note: Aadhaar was made optional for availing the first instalment (December 2018 – March 2019). But now it is mandatory.
The following categories of beneficiaries of higher economic status shall not be eligible for benefit under the scheme.
- All Institutional Landholders
- Farmer families in which one or more of its members belong to the following categories
- Former and present holders of constitutional posts
- Former and present Ministers/ MP/MLAs/Mayors /Chairpersons of District Panchayats
- All serving or retired officers and employees of Central/ State Government Ministries (Excluding Multi Tasking Staff /Class IV/Group D employees)
- All superannuated/retired pensioners whose monthly pension is ₹10,000/-or more (Excluding Multi Tasking Staff / Class IV/Group D employees) of the above category
- All Persons who paid Income Tax in the last assessment year
- Professionals like Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers, Chartered Accountants, and Architects registered with Professional bodies and carrying out the profession by undertaking practices.
Do you know?
West Bengal is yet to implement the PM-KISAN scheme while the farmers have completed their registrations!