From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Green Energy Convergence Project, EESL
Mains level : Green Energy Convergence Project
The Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) is set to roll out of India’s first Energy Convergence Project in Goa.
Green Energy Convergence Project
- Under the project, EESL and the Department of New and Renewable Energy (DNRE) in Goa will carry out feasibility studies and implementation of decentralized solar energy projects.
- The project aims to connect seemingly independent sectors like Solar Energy, Energy Storage and LED lights to provide solutions, which can enable in decarbonisation and affordable energy access.
- It will include the installation of 100 Megawatt decentralized ground-mounted solar power projects on government land to be used for agricultural pumping.
- It seeks to replace 6,300 agricultural pumps and distribute 16 lakh LED bulbs for rural domestic households.
Benefits of the project
- The projects will accelerate the usage of renewable energy sources, especially for agricultural and rural power consumption in the State.
- They will also contribute to the reduction of peak energy demand through the deployment of energy-efficient pumping and lighting thus contributing to overall sustainability.
- A joint venture of NTPC Limited, Power Finance Corporation, Rural Electrification Corporation and POWERGRID, the EESL was set up under Ministry of Power to facilitate the implementation of energy efficiency projects.
- EESL is a Super Energy Service Company (ESCO) that seeks to unlock energy efficiency market in India, that can potentially result in energy savings of up to 20 per cent of current consumption.
- It also acts as the resource centre for capacity building of State DISCOMs, ERCs, SDAs, upcoming ESCOs, financial institutions, etc.