From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Initiaitives mentioned in the newscard
Mains level : Not Much
In a virtual celebration of the International Day for Biological Diversity 2020, Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC) has launched key initiatives towards conservation of biodiversity.
Possible prelim question:
The ‘Not all Animals Migrate by Choice’ campaign recently seen in news is an initiative by __________.
About the International Day for Biological Diversity
- This Day is a United Nations-sanctioned international day for the promotion of biodiversity issues.
- It is currently held on May 22.
- The year 2020 is also the “Super Year for Biodiversity”, as the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity with 20 global Aichi targets adopted in 2010 ends in 2020.
1) Biodiversity Samrakshan Internship Programme
- The program proposes to engage 20 students with postgraduate degrees for a period of one year through an open, transparent, online competitive process.
- It has the National Biodiversity Authority (NBA) and the UN Development Programme (UNDP) as a nodal agency.
2) ‘Not all Animals Migrate by Choice’ campaign
- It is a United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Campaign launched by the Wildlife Crime Control Bureau on Illegal Trafficking of Endangered Species.
- It aims to curb illegal trade in wildlife which carries the risk of spreading dangerous pandemics.
Back2Basics: Aichi Targets
- The ‘Aichi Targets’ were adopted by the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) at its Nagoya conference.
- The short term plan provides a set of 20 ambitious yet achievable targets, collectively known as the Aichi Targets.
- The IUCN Species Programme provides advice to Parties, other governments and partners on the implementation of the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity and it’s Aichi Biodiversity Targets (2011 – 2020) and is also heavily involved in work towards the Target.