From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Petersberg Climate Dialogue
Mains level : Coronovirus outbreak and climate negotiaitions
India along with 30 countries deliberated on issues of Climate Change in first-ever virtual Petersberg Climate Dialogue.
Climate change negotiations are somehow put to a halt due to ongoing pandemic. Such small dialogues are keeping alive the spirit of climate action.
Petersberg Climate Dialogue
- It has been hosted by Germany since 2010 to provide a forum for informal high-level political discussions, focusing both on international climate negotiations and the advancement of climate action.
- This year’s virtual Dialogue was co-chaired by Germany and the UK.
- The dialogue was crucial because of the efforts to contain coronavirus as well as countries preparing to move into the implementation phase of the Paris Agreement 2015 in the post-2020 period.
- Expressing solidarity with the world as it combats the COVID 19 pandemic the Union Minister highlighted how COVID – 19 has noticed that we can survive on less.
- India pushed for having climate technology as an open source available to all countries at affordable prices.
- India stressed on climate finance and urged to plan for 1 trillion USD in grants to the developing world immediately.
- India focussed on the opportunity that the world has today to accelerate renewable energy deployment and creating new green jobs in the renewable energy and energy efficiency sector.