From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : PRISM Scheme
Mains level : Not Much
The Ministry of Science & Technology has inaugurated an Alignment and Awareness Event for the publicity of the DSIR-PRISM Scheme.
Crux lies in the acronym. Remember the primary aim and objectives. UPSC can also go with numbers esp. the grants.
- PRISM stands for Promoting Innovations in Individuals, Start-ups and MSMEs.
- It is an initiative of the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR).
- It is aimed at transforming an individual innovator into a successful technopreneur by promoting, supporting, and funding implementable and commercially viable innovations created for society.
- Under the initiative, an Indian innovator- student, professional and common citizen – is provided technical, strategic, and financial assistance by DSIR for idea development, prototype development and pilot scaling, and patenting.
- The programme is implemented across various sectors from energy to healthcare to waste management and others.
Grants under the scheme
The grant is given in two phases:
- Phase I and Phase II, catering to both the initial innovation stage and the advanced enterprise setup phase through DSIR outreach-cum-cluster innovation centres available throughout India.
- The grant amount in Phase I is around Rs. 2.0 lakhs to Rs. 20.00 lakhs and in Phase II maximum of Rs. 50.00 lakhs.
Success of the scheme
- The scheme has been instrumental in supporting individual innovators enabling inclusive development of India.
- It has extended its support to any citizen through direct benefit transfer in the core technology areas such as-
Affordable Healthcare, Water, Sewage Management, Green Technology, Clean Energy, Industrially Utilizable Smart Materials, Waste to Wealth aligned with our national objectives