From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : SARAS Initiative
Mains level : Not Much
Coal India’s flagship subsidiary NCL (Northern Coalfields Limited) has set up a centre named SARAS.
- SARAS stands for Science and Applied Research Alliance and Support.
- It aims to promote innovation, R&D and skill development along with improving company’s operational efficiency and utilize resources at optimum level.
- SARAS will help and enable the company in Integration of Innovation and Research for enhancing coal production, productivity, and safety in mines.
- Besides, the SARAS would also help establish centres of excellence to ensure technical support to R&D along with thrust on quality skill development and employment to local youths in and around company’s operational area.
- NCL accounts for 15 per cent of India’s coal production and 10 per cent of thermal power generation of the country is met by the coal produced by this Miniratna Company of Govt. of India.
- The company produces more than 100 million tonnes of coal every year.
- It has planned to produce 107 million tonnes of coal in the current fiscal.