From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Sarayu River
Mains level : River interlinking and associated issues
PM will inaugurate the Saryu Nahar National Project.
Saryu Nahar National Project
- The Project involves the interlinking of five rivers – Ghaghara, Saryu, Rapti, Banganga and Rohini to ensure optimum usage of water resources of the region.
- It will benefit nine districts of Eastern Uttar Pradesh namely – Bahraich, Shravasti, Balrampur, Gonda, Siddharthnagar, Basti, Sant Kabir Nagar, Gorakhpur and Maharajganj.
- The sub canals with a length of 6,600km have been linked to the 318km main canal.
- The work on the project started in 1978 but due to lack of continuity, it got delayed and was not completed even after nearly four decades.
- The project will provide assured water for irrigation of over 14 lakh hectares of land and benefit about 29 lakh farmers of over 6200 villages.
- The farmers of the region, who were the worst sufferers of the inordinate delay in the project, will now immensely benefit from the upgraded irrigation potential.
- They will now be able to grow crops on a larger scale and maximize the agri-potential of the region.
Back2Basics: Sarayu River
- The Sarayu is a river that originates at a ridge south of Nanda Kot mountain in Bageshwar district in Uttarakhand.
- It flows through Kapkot, Bageshwar, and Seraghat towns before discharging into the Sharda River at Pancheshwar at the India—Nepal border.
- Lower Ghaghara is also popularly known as Sarayu in India.
- Especially while it flows through the city of Ayodhya, the birthplace of legendary Rama.
UPSC 2022 countdown has begun! Get your personal guidance plan now! (Click here)
Add me your contact group