From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : SVAMITVA
Mains level : Land records management in India
Our PM has launched the physical distribution of Property Cards under the SVAMITVA Scheme.
Try this MCQ:
Q.The SVAMITVA Scheme sometimes seen in news is related to:
Urban Employment/ Land records management/ Child Adoption/ None of these
- SVAMITVA stands for Survey of Villages and Mapping with Improvised Technology in Village Areas.
- Under the scheme, the latest surveying technology such as drones will be used for measuring the inhabited land in villages and rural areas.
- The mapping and survey will be conducted in collaboration with the Survey of India, State Revenue Department and State Panchayati Raj Department under the Ministry of Panchayati Raj.
- The drones will draw the digital map of every property falling in the geographical limit of each Indian village.
- Property Cards will be prepared and given to the respective owners.
Significance of the scheme
- The scheme paves the way for using the property as a financial asset by villagers for taking loans and other financial benefits.
- Also, this is the first time ever that such a large-scale exercise involving the most modern means of technology is being carried out to benefit millions of rural property owners.
- The scheme will create records of land ownership in villages and these records will further facilitate tax collection, new building plan and issuance of permits.
- It will enable the government to effectively plan for the infrastructural programs in villages.
- It would help in reducing the disputes over property.
Back2Basics: E-Gramswaraj Portal
- E Gram Swaraj portal is the official portal of central govt for the implementation of Swamitva scheme.
- By visiting this portal people can check their Panchayat profile easily. It will also contain the details of ongoing development works and the fund allocated for them.
- Any citizen can create his or her account on the portal and can know about the developmental works of villages.
- The user of E Gram Swaraj portal can also access all work of the Ministry of Panchayati Raj.
- This single interface will help speed-up the implementation of projects in rural areas from planning to completion.