From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Black Sea mapping
Mains level : Not Much
Russia accused Britain of spreading lies over a warship confrontation in the Black Sea.
What is the issue?
- Russia annexed Ukraine’s Crimean Peninsula in 2014, a move that was not recognized by most countries in the world.
- Russia has frequently responded at NATO warships visits near Crimea, casting them as destabilizing.
- NATO members Turkey, Greece, Romania and Bulgaria are in the Black Sea, but warships from the US, UK and other NATO allies also have made increasingly frequent visits in a show of support to Ukraine.
About Black Sea
- The Black Sea is a marginal sea of the Atlantic Ocean lying between Europe and Asia; east of the Balkans (Southeast Europe), south of the East European Plain in Eastern Europe, west of the Caucasus, and north of Anatolia in Western Asia.
- It is supplied by major rivers, principally the Danube, Dnieper, and Don.
- The watersheds of many countries drain into the sea beyond the six that share its coast.
- The Black Sea is bordered by Bulgaria, Georgia, Romania, Russia, Turkey, and Ukraine.
Must answer this PYQ in the comment box:
Q.Consider the following pairs:
1. Adriatic Sea Albania 2. Black Sea Croatia 3. Caspian Sea Kazakhstan 4. Mediterranean Sea Morocco 5. Red Sea Syria
Which of the pair given above are correctly matched? (CSP 2020)
(a) 1, 2 and 4 only
(b) 1, 3 and 4 only
(c) 2 and 5 only
(d) 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5