From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : MLA-LAD scheme
Mains level : Paper 2- Using MLA-LAD funds for Covid vaccination
MLA-LAD Fund for buying vaccine
- As part of the efforts to mobilise financial resources for COVID-19 vaccination, Rajasthan Chief Minister has approved a proposal to provide ₹3 crore each from the MLA Local Area Development (LAD) Fund.
- For meeting the expenses, the fund for each legislator has been increased from ₹2.25 crore to ₹5 crore a year.
- The 200 MLAs in the State will contribute a total of ₹600 crore to the vaccination fund account under the Chief Minister’s Relief Fund.
- From the remaining ₹2 crore in the MLA-LAD Fund, ₹1 crore will be spent on strengthening the medical infrastructure, purchase of equipment and setting up of model community health centres.
About MLA-LAD Fund
- Member of Legislative Assembly Local Area Development is a scheme that enables each MLA to undertake small developmental works in his/her constituency.
- The MLALAD Scheme is intended to be utilised for small but essential projects/works based on the felt needs of the local public.
- Under this scheme, funds will be provided in the State’s Plan Budget every year.