From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Brown Rice
Mains level : Indian Exports
In a major boost to India’s rice exports potential, the first consignment of ‘red rice’ was flagged off today to the USA.
Try this PYQ from CSP 2019
Q.Among the following, which one is the largest exporter of rice in the world in the last five years?
- Iron rich ‘red rice’ is grown in the Brahmaputra valley of Assam, without the use of any chemical fertilizer.
- The rice variety is referred to as ‘Bao-dhaan’, which is an integral part of Assamese food.
- Much like brown rice and white rice, red rice also comes with many incredible health benefits.
- Due to the presence of a component called anthocyanin, this rice is usually consumed either partially hulled or unhulled.
- Red rice derives this eye-grabbing colour from this component and has much more nutrient value as compared to other varieties of rice.