From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : SAARC, Sagarmatha Sambaad
Mains level : Fading relevance of SAARC
Nepal has invited the PMs of India and Pakistan along with several other heads of government and heads of state for the Sagarmatha Sambaad.
- Sagarmatha Sambaad is a multi-stakeholder, permanent global dialogue forum initiated by the Government of Nepal.
- It is scheduled to be held biennially in Nepal.
- The Sambaad (dialogue) is named after the world’s tallest mountain Sagarmatha (Mount Everest).
- The Everest is also a symbol of friendship and is meant to promote the notions of common good and collective well-being of humanity.
- The first episode of the Sambaad is scheduled to be held from 2 to 4 April 2020 by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Nepal).
- The theme of the first Sambaad is “Climate Change, Mountains and the Future of Humanity.”
- This is the first ever multi-stakeholder dialogue and a biggest diplomatic initiative in Nepal’s recent history.
- India and Pakistan have been caught up in a cycle of hostility, which had prevented Islamabad from hosting the SAARC Summit in 2016.
- The Kathmandu event aims to draw all the SAARC leaders and provide an opportunity to break the ice.
- India had accused Pakistan of cross border terrorism while boycotting the Islamabad summit leading to its cancellation.