From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Silent Valley National Park
Mains level : NA
A bird survey conducted at the Silent Valley National Park identified 141 species, of which 17 were new. So far, 175 species of birds have been spotted in Silent Valley.
Silent Valley National Park
- It is located in the border of Mannarkkad Taluk of Palakkad district, Nilambur Taluk of Malappuram district, Kerala, and Nilgiris district of Tamil Nadu.
- This national park has some rare species of flora and fauna. This area was explored in 1847 by the botanist Robert Wight.
- It is located in the rich biodiversity of Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve.
- Mukurthi peak, the fifth-highest peak in South India, and Anginda peak are also located in its vicinity.
- Bhavani River, a tributary of Kaveri River, and Kunthipuzha River, a tributary of Bharathappuzha river, originate in the vicinity of Silent Valley.
- The Kadalundi River has also its origin in Silent Valley.
New species spotted
- Brown wood owl, Banded bay cuckoo, Malabar woodshrike, White-throated kingfisher, Indian nightjar, Jungle nightjar, and Large cuckooshrike were among the 17 species newly identified in the Silent Valley.
Crack Prelims 2023! Talk to our Rankers
(Click) FREE 1-to-1 on-call Mentorship by IAS-IPS officers | Discuss doubts, strategy, sources, and more