From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Vishnugadh Project
Mains level : Not Much
An independent panel of the World Bank is considering a plea by residents of some village to investigate environmental damage from the under-construction Vishnugad Pipalkoti Hydro Electric Project (VPHEP).
- The 444-MW VPHEP is being built by the Tehri Hydropower Development Corporation (THDC), a partially State-owned enterprise.
- It is being constructed on Dhauliganga River in Chamoli District of Uttarakhand.
- The project is primarily funded by the World Bank and was sanctioned in 2011. It is proposed to be completed in June 2023.
- About 40% of the funds for the $792 million project (₹64,000 crore approx.) has already been disbursed.
Why in news now?
- Residents in their complaint have said muck dumping from the dam threatens the local Lakshmi Narayan Temple, which is deemed to be of historical and cultural importance.
- They also complained about the limited availability of water, saying that 70 of the 92 households received water only for two hours daily.
- Before the project construction, they had ready access to water.