From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Theyyam ritual dance
Mains level : NA
Ritual dance Agni Kandakarnan Theyyam performing at the Kaliyattam festival has begun in Kannur, Kerala.
What is Theyyam?
- Theyyam is a popular thousand-year-old ritual form of dance worship in Kerala and Karnataka, India.
- The people of these districts consider Theyyam itself as a channel to a god and they thus seek blessings from Theyyam.
- There are about 456 types of Theyyam.
- Theyyam is performed by males, except the Devakoothu theyyam; the Devakoothu is the only Theyyam ritual performed by women.
- It is performed only in the Thekkumbad Kulom temple.
Major types of performances
- Vishnumoorthi: It is the most popular Vaishnava Theyyam. This theyyam narrates and performs the story of Hiranyakashipu’s death by the Lord Vishnu in his avatar of Narasimham.
- Sree Muthappan Theyyam: It consists of two divine figures is considered as the personification of two divine figures— the Thiruvappana or Valiya Muttapan (Vishnu) and the Vellatom or Cheriya Muttapan (Shiva).
- Padikutti Amma: It is believed to be the mother of Muthapan. The Padikutti Amma Theyyam is performed in the Palaprath Temple in Kodallur near Parassini Kadavu in the Meenam (a Malayalam month)