From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Green-Ag Project
Mains level : Sustainable agriculture and its significance
The Union government has launched the Green-Ag Project in Mizoram, to reduce emissions from agriculture and ensure sustainable agricultural practices.
Note the following things about Green-Ag Project:
3)Regions of Implementation
- The Green-Ag project is designed to achieve multiple global environmental benefits in at least 1.8 million hectares (ha) of land in five landscapes, with mixed land-use systems.
- It aims to bring at least 104,070 ha of farms under sustainable land and water management.
- The project will also ensure 49 million Carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2eq) sequestered or reduced through sustainable land use and agricultural practices.
- The project is funded by the Global Environment Facility, while the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation, and Farmers’ Welfare (DAC&FW) is the national executing agency.
- Other key players involved in its implementation are the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the Environment Ministry (MoEF&CC).
Regions of implementation
The project has been launched in high-conservation-value landscapes of five States namely
- Madhya Pradesh: Chambal Landscape
- Mizoram: Dampa Landscape
- Odisha: Similipal Landscape
- Rajasthan: Desert National Park Landscape
- Uttarakhand: Corbett-Rajaji Landscape