From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Akash Missile
Mains level : NA
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully tested a new version of Akash Surface to Air missile Akash Prime from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur, Odisha.
About Akash Missile System
- Akash is a medium-range mobile surface-to-air missile (SAM) system.
- It is developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and produced by Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL).
- It can target aircraft up to 50–80 km away, at altitudes up to 18,000 m.
- It has the capability to neutralise aerial targets like fighter jets, cruise missiles and air-to-surface missiles as well as ballistic missiles.
- It is in operational service with the Indian Army and the Indian Air Force.
Upgrade in Akash Prime
- In comparison to the existing Akash System, Akash Prime is equipped with an indigenous active Radio Frequency (RF) seeker for improved accuracy.
- Other improvements also ensure more reliable performance under low temperature environment at higher altitudes.