From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Black Sea mapping
Mains level : India-Georgia ties
After a long-standing request of Georgia, External Affairs Minister handed over the holy relics of 17th century Georgian Queen St. Ketevan nearly 16 years after they were found in Goa.
Who was St. Ketevan?
- Queen Ketevan was a 17th century Georgian Queen.
- From Kakheti, a kingdom in eastern Georgia, she was tortured and killed in 1624 in Shiraz during the rule of the Safavid dynasty.
- Portuguese missionaries were said to have carried the relics to Goa in 1627.
- In 2005, after years of research and study of medieval Portuguese records, the relics were found at the St. Augustine Church in Old Goa.
Importance of Georgia for India
- Georgia a strategically important country situated at the intersection of Eastern Europe and Western Asia.
- Relations between Georgia and India date back to ancient times.
- The Panchatantra influenced Georgian folk legends. During the medieval period, Georgian missionaries, travelers, and traders visited India.
- Some Georgians served in the courts of Mughal emperors, and a few rose to the rank of governor.
- India was among the first countries to officially recognize Georgia, doing so on 26 December 1991.
- India is a net exporter to Georgia.
- The main commodities exported by India to Georgia are cereals, nuclear reactors, boilers, machinery and mechanical appliances, pharmaceuticals, electrical machinery and equipment, aluminium and aluminium articles.
Answer this PYQ in the comment box:
Q.Consider the following pairs:
Sea Bordering Country 1. Adriatic Sea Albania 2. Black Sea Croatia 3. Caspian Sea Kazakhstan 4. Mediterranean Sea Morocco 5. Red Sea Syria
Which of the pairs given above are correctly matched? (CSP 2019)
(a) 1, 2 and 4 only
(b) 1, 3 and 4 only
(c) 2 and 5 only
(d) 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5