From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Earth Day
Mains level : NA
Yesterday, April 22nd was celebrated as Earth Day, an international event celebrated around the world to pledge support for environmental protection.
The Earth Day designation by UN and its first observance have confusing difference. Make note of that. We can expect a question based on that. Also read about Earth Overshoot Day.
What is Earth Day?
- In 2009, the United Nations designated April 22 as ‘International Mother Earth Day’.
- Earth Day aims to “build the world’s largest environmental movement to drive transformative change for people and the planet.”
- Earth Day was first observed in 1970, when 20 million took to the streets to protest against environmental degradation.
- The event was triggered by the 1969 Santa Barbara oil spill, as well as other issues such as smog and polluted rivers.
- The landmark Paris Agreement, which brings almost 200 countries together in setting a common target to reduce global greenhouse emissions, was signed on Earth Day 2016.
Significance of this year
- The year 2020 marks the 50th anniversary of the annual celebrations.
- This year’s theme for Earth Day is ‘climate action’.