From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Exercise Kavkaz 2020
Mains level : Not Much
India has turned down Russia’s invitation to participate in the multilateral defence exercise Kavkaz 2020.
Go through the list for once. UPSC may ask a match the pair type question asking exercise name and countries involved.
Exercise Kavkaz 2020
- The Kavkaz 2020 is also referred to as Caucasus-2020.
- The exercise is aimed at assessing the ability of the armed forces to ensure military security in Russia’s southwest, where serious terrorist threats persist and preparing for the strategic command-staff drills.
- The main training grounds that will be involved are located in the Southern Military District.
- The invitation for participation has been extended to at least 18 countries including China, Iran, Pakistan and Turkey apart from other Central Asian Republics part of the SCO.
Why didn’t India participate?
- While it is learned that China has confirmed its participation, Pakistan is also likely to send its troops for the exercise.
- In the response communicated to Russia, New Delhi cited Covid-19 as the official reason to skip ‘Exercise Kavkaz 2020’.
- The move comes in the backdrop of a border standoff with China in eastern Ladakh.
- Exercise Tsentr last year had the participation of India, Pakistan and all Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) member-nations.
- India had participated in SCO peace mission exercise in 2018, and in 2019, for the first time, was involved in a strategic command and staff exercise as part of Exercise Tsentr.