From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Global Smart City Index
Mains level : Success of the Smart City Mission
Four Indian cities -New Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, and Bengaluru – witnessed a significant drop in their rankings in the global listing of smart cities that was topped by Singapore.
Try this PYQ:
Q.Which one of the following is not a sub-index of the World Bank’s ‘Ease of Doing Business Index’?
(a) Maintenance of law and order
(b) Paying taxes
(c) Registering property
(d) Dealing with construction permits
Global Smart City Index
- The Institute for Management Development, in collaboration with Singapore University for Technology and Design, has released the 2020 Smart City Index.
- Its key findings rest on how technology is playing a role in the Covid-19 era.
- The 2020 Index was topped by Singapore, followed by Helsinki and Zurich in the second and the third place respectively.
- Others in the top 10 list include Auckland (4th), Oslo (5th), Copenhagen (6th), Geneva (7th), Taipei City (8th), Amsterdam (9th) and New York at the 10th place.
- In the 2020 Smart City Index, Hyderabad was placed at the 85th position (down from 67 in 2019), New Delhi at 86th rank (down from 68 in 2019), Mumbai was at 93rd place (in 2019 it was at 78) and Bengaluru at 95th (79 in 2019).
- This drop can be attributed to the detrimental effect that the pandemic has had where the technological advancement was not up to date.
- From 15 indicators that the respondents perceive as the priority areas for their city, all four cities highlighted air pollution as one of the key areas that they felt their city needed to prioritise on.
- For cities like Bangalore and Mumbai, this was closely followed by road congestion while for Delhi and Hyderabad it was basic amenities, the report said.