From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Exercise Milan
Mains level : NA
Exercise Milan as well as the Fleet Review by President is scheduled to be held this month for which 46 countries have been invited.
- Milan began in 1995 and is held biennially and brings together Navies of all the countries in the region.
- It has so far been held at Port Blair in Andaman and Nicobar but is now being shifted to Visakhapatnam which offers more infrastructure as well as sea space for the exercise.
- It has several themes such as anti-submarine warfare among others along with deliberations, including by subject matter experts.
What is Fleet Review?
- A Fleet Review is usually conducted once during the tenure of the President.
- The first PFR was held in 1953 for the first President Dr. Rajendra Prasad.
- Since Independence 11 PFRs have been conducted by the Navy, of which two have been International Fleet Reviews in 2011 and 2016.
- In terms of significance, the Navy’s Presidential review is second only to the Republic Day Parade.