From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : APPU
Mains level : Not Much
India took over the leadership of the Asian Pacific Postal Union (APPU) having its Headquarters in Bangkok, Thailand.
About Asian Pacific Postal Union (APPU)
- APPU is an intergovernmental organization of 32-member countries of the Asian-Pacific region.
- It was formed by International treaty through an Asian-Pacific Postal Convention signed in Yogyakarta on 27 March 1981.
- The organisation has origins dating back to 1961.
- APPU is the only Restricted Union of the Universal Postal Union (UPU) in the region, which is a specialized agency of the United Nations.
- Secretary General leads the activities of the Union and is also the Director of the Asian Pacific Postal College (APPC) which is the largest intergovernmental postal training institute in the region.
Goals and objectives
- The goal of APPU is to extend, facilitate and improve postal relations between member countries and to promote cooperation in the field of postal services.
- As the regional center for various UPU projects, APPU also takes the lead in ensuring that all technical and operational projects of the UPU are fulfilled in the region.
Significance of India’s chair
- The Asia Pacific region accounts for around one-third of the world’s postal workforce and about half of the world’s mail volume.
- India seeks to improve the regional coordination with postal players in the Asia Pacific region to improve the growth of the business through the postal network, to ensure the sustainability of the Union.
- This is the first time an Indian is leading an international organization in the postal sector.
Click and get your FREE Copy of CURRENT AFFAIRS Micro Notes
(Click) FREE 1-to-1 on-call Mentorship by IAS-IPS officers | Discuss doubts, strategy, sources, and more