From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Not Much
Mains level : Coronovirus outbreak and its mitigation
The Centre has approved a centrally funded ‘India COVID-19 Emergency Response and Health System Preparedness Package’ with the objective of strengthening national and state health systems.
About the Package
- The package is 100 per cent centrally funded project under the National Health Mission.
- It will be implemented in three phases from January 2020 to March 2024.
- It aims at strengthening national and state health systems to support prevention and preparedness, procurement of essential medical equipment, consumables and drugs, etc.
- The three phases of the project are Phase – 1 from January 2020 to June 2020, the second phase is from July 2020 to March 2021 and the third phase from April 2021 to March 2024.
What are the major activities planned under this package?
- The key activities to be implemented under Phase -1 includes support to states/UTs for the development of dedicated COVID-19 hospitals and other hospitals, isolation blocks, negative pressure isolation rooms, ICUs with ventilators, the oxygen supply in hospitals etc..
- The central package will also assist the state/ UTs for the Procurement of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE), N95 masks and ventilators, over and above what is being procured and supplied by the govt.
- The activities under the first phase also include the disinfection of hospitals, government ambulances, etc.