From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Not much
Mains level : Free speech and press
The India Press Freedom Report, 2021was recently released by the Rights and Risks Analysis Group (RRAG).
India Press Freedom Report, 2021: Key Highlights
- Jammu and Kashmir, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Tripura topped the list of States and Union Territories where journalists and media houses were targeted in 2021.
- It is followed by Delhi (8), Bihar (6), Assam (5), Haryana and Maharashtra (4 each), Goa and Manipur (3 each), Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal (2 each), and Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Kerala (1each).
- While J&K recorded the maximum attacks by State actors, Tripura had the most cases of attacks by non-State actors, the analysis of data showed.
Significance of the report
- The widespread attacks on the press freedom are an indicator of the continuing deterioration of civic space in the country.
- It represents the status of free speech exercised in our country.
UPSC 2022 countdown has begun! Get your personal guidance plan now! (Click here)