From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Sultanpur National Park
Mains level : NA
Homestays would soon be allowed in the villages around Sultanpur National Park in Gurugram to promote tourism and provide an opportunity for the visitors to catch a glimpse of rural life in Haryana.
Sultanpur National Park
- Sultanpur NP is located at Sultanpur village on Gurugram-Jhajjar highway, 15 km from Gurugram, Haryana and 50 km from Delhi.
- It was a bird sanctuary, ideal for birding and bird lookers. Its area covers approximately 142.52 hectares.
- Migratory birds start arriving in the park in September. Birds use the park as a resting place till the following March-April.
- During summer and monsoon months the park is inhabited by many local bird species.
- In April 1971, the Sultanpur Jheel inside the park (an area of 1.21 sq. km.) was accorded Sanctuary status under section 8 of the Punjab Wildlife Preservation Act of 1959.
- The status of the park was upgraded to National Park under the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972 in July 1991.
Why must we remember it?
- It is one of the few NPs in the small state of Haryana.
- Another NP in Haryana is Kalesar National Park.