From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Armoured Engineer Reconnaissance Vehicles (AERV)
Mains level : Not Much
The first batch of next-generation indigenously designed Armoured Engineer Reconnaissance Vehicles (AERV) was inducted by the Indian Army.
- AERV is indigenously designed and developed by DRDO and manufactured by the Pune unit of Bharat Electronics Limited.
- It has more than 90% indigenous content.
- It is a versatile BMP-IIK amphibious Infantry Combat Vehicle (ICV) fitted with instruments for water reconnaissance, land reconnaissance, navigation, and data backup.
Unique capabilities of AERV
- AERV is capable of measuring soil bearing capacity on riverbanks.
- It works to determine if they are motorable for military vehicles on Go-No Go basis (critical parameters for bridge laying), dry and wet gaps in day and night conditions, slopes and height of river banks or canals.”
- AERVs can navigate terrain using Military Grid Coordinate System, measure and plot underwater beds and water currents of rivers or canals.
- They can store data from various instruments on Control Console for further analysis and decision-making.