From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Urban Forest Scheme
Mains level : NA
On the occasion of World Environment Day (5th June), the union govt has announced the implementation of the Nagar Van Scheme to develop 200 Urban Forests across the country in the next five years.
Do you know?
India has 8 per cent of world’s biodiversity, despite having many constraints like only 2.5 % of the world’s landmass, has to carry 16% of human population and having only 4% of freshwater sources.
Urban Forest Scheme
- The scheme will be implemented with people’s participation and collaboration between the Forest Department, Municipal bodies, NGOs and corporates.
- These forests will work as lungs of the cities and will primarily be on the forest land or any other vacant land offered by local urban local bodies.
- This urban area rejuvenation scheme is based on the Smriti Van in the Warje area of Pune City
- This forest now hosts rich biodiversity with 23 plant species, 29 bird species, 15 butterfly species, 10 reptiles and 3 mammal species.
- This Urban Forest project is now helping maintain ecological balance, serving both environmental and social needs.