From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : National Council for Transgender Persons
Mains level : Trans-persons rights protection
The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has constituted the National Council for Transgender Persons.
Try this question for mains:
Q.Discuss the salient features of the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill, 2019. What are its various shortcomings?
National Council for Transgender Persons
- It has been a requirement under the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019.
- The Social Justice Minister would be the chairperson of the Council.
- The members would include officials of the Ministries of Health, MHA, MoHUA, Minority Affairs, HRD etc. among others.
- The council also includes five nominated members from the transgender community.
- The council would work with States to ensure that transgender welfare boards are set up in all States and essential needs of the community, like housing, food, healthcare and education are met.