From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Assam Accord
Mains level : Read the attached story
The Assam government on Saturday set up an eight-member sub-committee to examine and prepare a framework for the implementation of all clauses of the Assam Accord of 1985.
What is Assam Accord?
- The Assam Accord was a Memorandum of Settlement (MoS) signed the Government of India and the leaders of the Assam Movement.
- It the movement demanded the identification and deportation of all illegal foreigners – predominantly Bangladeshi immigrants.
- They feared that past and continuing large scale migration was overwhelming the native population, impacting their political rights, culture, language and land rights.
- The Assam Movement caused the estimated death of over 855 people.
- It ended with the signing of the Assam Accord in 1985.
What are the major clauses of Assam Accord?
- Clause 5: Foreigners Issue
- Clause 6: Constitutional, Legislative & Administrative safeguards
- Clause 7: Economic Development
- Clause 9 : Security of International Border
- Clause 10: Prevention of Encroachment of Government lands
- Clause 11: Restricting acquisition of immovable property by foreigners
- Clause 12: Registration of births and deaths
Which clauses are being discussed?
- A sub-committee has been tasked to examine and prepare a framework for implementation of all clauses of Assam Accord in general with special emphasis on Clause 6, Clause 7, Clause 9 and Clause 10.