From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : CHAMPIONS Portal
Mains level : Not Much
In a major initiative, Union Ministry of MSME has launched CHAMPIONS portal for assisting Indian MSMEs march into the big league as National and Global Champions.
MSME sector has been hit badly by COVID. Initiatives like CHAMPIONS portal are crucial for this sector.
- ‘CHAMPIONS’ is a technology-driven Control Room-Cum-Management Information System.
- The CHAMPIONS is an acronym for Creation and Harmonious Application of Modern Processes for Increasing the Output and National Strength
- As the name suggests, the portal is basically for making the smaller units big by solving their grievances, encouraging, supporting, helping and handholding.
- It is a technology-packed control room-cum-management information system.
Three basic objectives of the CHAMPIONS
1) How to help the MSMEs in this difficult situation in terms of finance, raw materials, labour, permissions, etc.
2) How to help them capture new opportunities like manufacturing of medical accessories and products like PPEs, masks, etc.
3) How to identify the sparks, i.e., the bright MSMEs who can not only withstand but can also become national and international champions.
Technology imbibed in the portal
- In addition to ICT tools including telephone, internet and video conference, the system is enabled by Artificial Intelligence, Data Analytics and Machine Learning.
- It is also fully integrated on a real-time basis with GOI’s main grievances portal CPGRAMS and MSME Ministry’s own other web-based mechanisms.
- The entire ICT architecture is created in house with the help of NIC in no cost. Similarly, the physical infrastructure is created in one of the ministry’s dumping rooms in record time.
A hub and spoke model of network
- As part of the system, a network of control rooms is created in a Hub & Spoke Model.
- The Hub is situated in New Delhi in the Secretary MSME’s office.
- The spokes will be in the States in various offices and institutions of Ministry.
- As of now, 66 state-level control rooms are created as part of the system.