From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Kisan Rail
Mains level : Doubling farmers income by 2022
Indian Railways introduced the first “Kisan Rail” from Devlali (Maharashtra) to Danapur (Bihar).
Try this question for mains:
Q.Discuss the role of agricultural marketing and logistics for doubling farmer’s income by 2022.
- From Maharashtra’s Devlali to Bihar’s Danapur, the train will cover the journey of 1,519 kilometres in over 31 hours.
- It will take stops at Nasik Road, Manmad, Jalgaon, Bhusaval, Burhanpur, Khandwa, Itarsi, Jabalpur, Satna, Katni, Manikpur, Prayagraj Chheoki, Pt. Deendayal Upadhyay Nagar and Buxar.
- This train will help in bringing perishable agricultural products like vegetables, fruits to the market in a short period of time.
- The train with frozen containers is expected to build a seamless national cold supply chain for perishables, inclusive of fish, meat and milk.
- It is a step towards realizing the goal of doubling farmers’ incomes by 2022.
- Indian Railways have earlier run single commodity special trains like Banana Specials etc.
- But this will be the first-ever multi-commodity trains and will carry fruits like Pomegranate, Banana, Grapes etc and vegetables like Capsicum, Cauliflower, Drumsticks, Cabbage, Onion, Chilies etc.