From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Generations of biofuels
Mains level : Paper 3- Used Cooking Oil based biofuel
Eco-system for collection and conversion of UCO into Biodiesel
- Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas flagged off the first supply of UCO (Used Cooking Oil) based Biodiesel blended Diesel under the EOI Scheme.
- To create an eco-system for collection and conversion of UCO, Expressions of Interest had been initiated for “Procurement of Bio-diesel produced from Used Cooking Oil” on the occasion of World Biofuel Day on 10th August 2019.
- Under this initiative, Oil Marketing Companies (OMC) offer periodically incremental price guarantees for five years and extend off-take guarantees for ten years to prospective entrepreneurs.
- This is a landmark in India’s pursuance of Biofuels and will have a positive impact on the environment.
- This initiative will garner substantial economic benefits for the nation by shoring up indigenous Biodiesel supply, reducing import dependence, and generating rural employment.