From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Kuthiran tunnel
Mains level : Not Much
The Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways has inaugurated the Kuthiran Tunnel in Kerala
- Kuthiran Tunnel is a Twin-tube tunnel at Kuthiran in Thrissur District of Kerala.
- It is located on National Highway 544, owned and operated by the National Highways Authority of India.
- It is Kerala’s first-ever tunnel for road transport and South India’s Longest 6-lane road tunnel.
- Kuthiran gradient is situated in the Kuthiran Hills, situated in the western part of Anaimalai Hills. The hills are a notified Peechi- Vazahani wildlife sanctuary.
- It will drastically improve connectivity to Tamil Nadu and Karnataka.
- The road will improve connectivity to important ports and towns in North-South Corridor without endangering wildlife.